12 September 2010

proper southern mad (mad = food, meal)

the spread: black berry juice and wine, shrimp and grits (lowcountry style), coffee and blackberry cobbler for dessert
hyggelig lowcountry food...
My friend Julie came over for dinner last week, and I made a proper southern meal for us.  Last October when I was here in Copenhagen we had tried and tried to find grits (describing them adequately is impossible...no not really oatmeal..and you don't really know cream of wheat either, so....yeah, impossible).  This trip, I came prepared and brought my own bag.  :)  Next trick, finding proper "shrimps" and not those teeny greenlandic things.  Shrimp here are notoriously small..what all gulf coasters would consider babies.  But it really is just the species--I had to look them up I was so surprised the first time I tried them.  The grocery store I stopped in just happened to have shrimp from Honduras--of a much more normal weight.  So, I sacrificed my global conservation morals for the night and bought two packages.   Then, a little garlic, peppers, cheese, milk, tomato, and green onion later, and Voila!  Shrimp and Creamy grits.  And later, blackberry cobbler--WARM, with ice cream.  There is a danish specialty called "aeblekage" which translates to apple cake, but really is a form of apple crisp.  It has bread crumbs on top, and some spices and apples below....but it is served cold.  With ice cream, cold.  (If any of you know my dad at this point you can imagine my face.  COLD apple pie and ice cream???  Blasphemy.)  So, I am slowly introducing my danish friends to WARM cobbler and ice cream.  So far, it's been a pleasant journey.
-Knus, Callie

No comments:

Post a Comment