01 December 2010

A Wintry's Eve In The Neighborhood


A perfect place for a winter tea party in the front yard...  Ok, so maybe I should move the date to spring or summer?  If you wait until the fall you can have apples and berries from the tree and bushes in the photo--fresh homegrown goodness!


I have not figured out how the roses survive winter AND snow in denmark, but these in my front yard are pretty spectacular even after a good freeze!




I think the snow agrees with me!  These photos are all from an afternoon/evening around my house and neighborhood.  Denmark looks very quiet in the snow, and that's true most of the time when you're not in the city.  It's a very...civilized.... place.  I've been thinking about that a lot riding the bus and metro during the snow season (no bike for me this month!).  There is very little noise on the bus/metro--unless you are with a group, or another group/set of friends is near you.  The sense of total respect and right to personal space and privacy permeates the bus. Of course, in the South, the stereotype is by sitting next to me you would know my life story by the time you get off---Thank you Forrest Gump!  But here, you don't even say to the person in the aisle seat, "Excuse me, this is my stop, I need to get up."  The common courtesy is to quietly get your things together, move your coat/zipper, or put on gloves to silently signal your neighbor that they should move.  It's a strange thought to me that you can be so close to 58 people and just move through with zero contact.

 Sometimes I try to break the sterility by purposely chatting the elderly person sitting near me.  I smile and ask something about Denmark, or laugh at the bus driver's accent...Anything to make the world a place where relationships--even random ones--matter.  And usually, they respond cheerfully, and always ask--what on earth brought you to Danmark?  :)  An exchange of smiles makes the ride faster and my purpose each day more apparent--I always learn something I didn't know about this country I'm living in and hopefully the same is true for them.




A view of the house...My windows are on the bottom right--somewhat hidden I'm afraid.



No comments:

Post a Comment