26 December 2010

Home for the Holidays





When I made plans to travel home for the holidays, I was really quite excited to have a few "warmer" days in Tennessee.  I read a southern post once about the "magic" of snow, and agree that it is such a rare occurrence for those of us living at the lower latitudes that we marvel and awe at the tiny white flakes--perhaps more than we should.  But, after a month straight of snow, and the accompanying cycling and icy issues, I was ready for a break.

(Still thought snow was magical, but sometimes a little sunshine is equally awesome!)  However, a day or so before my flight to TN, my parents happily informed me that it would be SNOWING! during my winter holidays in the US.  Hehe.  God has quite a sense of humor sometimes.


These pics are the view that greeted me my first morning home--a quick step outside to document the evidence, and I was back inside by the fire and hot coffee.





One of my favorite Christmas, technically Advent, traditions is the Advent wreath.  Lucky for me, this tradition is shared by Denmark AND the US.  Denmark has quite a few candle holiday traditions--stay tuned!  ;)

I have always enjoyed the idea of Christmas elves, and Denmark has a wonderful tradition of mischievous "nisse" running around during cold December nights getting into all sorts of trouble.  They are round and red, and not quite the "cute" elves we Americans think of--indeed, the Norwegian nisse tend more toward the troll like.

There is a nisse roaming my house--the cat and dog are often tied up in various forms of decor as a result of the nisse antics.


Mom has been researching all sorts of church season traditions, and she found this one--a "Kristingle"--and decided it would be a perfect table setting.  The Kristingle comes from Germany, and is a representation (symbolic) of Christ's love and light of the world.


US Cuisine to Love:  Micro Beer and Pecan Pie


This pie is KARO syrup free!  I am learning in Denmark how to get around some of the "shortcuts" that Americans have for cooking, and that was a huge project for me.  Pecan pie without corn syrup.  I'm a fan of the idea, as I don't like supporting corn subsidies, and corn syrup is perhaps a devilish food additive in the US...



But who's ever seen a recipe for pecan pie without the sticky syrup??







The little things...that I love and miss from family and home








Family road trips and rest stops at cracker barrel.









Self Explanatory. So, I am a coffee junkie, so what? ;)





My parents.

Rocking chairs, summer breezes, front porches and fires in the fire place with a cozy hot cocoa in hand.







Millie and David, my "other" parents come over for dinner at various points during my stays at home.  Millie and Mom usually do quilting things and Dad and David like to use fire on meat...smoke, grill, whatever.








The Danish Calendar Candle: A Cultural Exchange


Meet Gertie!

She is our Christmas Calendar Candle.  Every night during December (Advent) we light her, just long enough to go down to the next number.  Typically, this is a dinner time ritual--a reminder that waiting time is precious and meant to be shared with family.


What I love about Gertie: a twist on my former understanding of Danish culture and holiday traditions.

Though I knew that these candles were common, I was intrigued by my host/landlord family's tradition.







The children (even grown) and family had a "crafting" session in which they planted and decorated their candles.


It was such an adorable family tradition (and one they learned as munchkins in school) that I knew my family had to try it too!



No comments:

Post a Comment