12 August 2010

denmark: because germany was too warm

Arrival and Luggage and Stuff Tribulations


Elz came to pick me up at the airport and drive me to my new home in Kastrup.  Upon our arrival, Trygve (home owner where I am staying) stares at my 4 bags--2 suitcases, a weekender backpack and a backpack. He simply offers up this piece of wisdom with a slight chuckle: "little bit of luggage, then."  The Danes will forever laugh at my idea of minimalism and concise packing.  After all the thought and work, (and editing!), I put into taking only what I needed for a year, I am still found to be quite overloaded with "stuff".  I could blame it on an American stereotype, I suppose, but instead I will resolve to learn this concept of minimal.  In response, I told Elz and Trygve that their job was to teach me to be a minimalist, and I would take half of it back at Christmas.  I will not tell them that Mom is mailing a few items to me later this week. ;)

(I left the Palmetto Rose bouquets that I brought for Elz, Lisbeth, Julie, and Marisa at home...and remembered them only on the way to the airport.  My spastic packing curse strikes again!)

With regards to packing for a colder climate
I've been living in South Carolina for nearly 8 years now, and before that, in Tennessee.  Needless to say, I am somewhat afraid of the weather here.  I have spent time in Denmark in March and October, and it was much more pleasant than I expected (weather wise).  The days were sometimes cloudy or rainy, and often windy...but...as long as I was not afraid of many layers, silk underwear, and not seeing my feet for many days on end, I was perfectly comfortable.  Planning for a week of that type of wardrobe is easy.  Planning for a year, well that's a different matter.

I have been collecting various items that I thought I would bring for many months now.  Any time I saw a winter clearance, I would pick up a piece and think, "hey, I could wear that in dk."  This was perhaps not the best way to go about my planning, but there it is: my American self rears its cute little head.  A few weeks ago I realized I was going to have to do much better if I wanted to avoid a 200$ fee at the airport for :gasp: overweight/oversize luggage.  So begins my research into packing for a year abroad.  Yes, I said it.  RESEARCH.  What else do you expect me to do?  It's only fair that I begin this process the same way I would tackle any other.  This blog site is one of the better resources that I found.  I'm definitely going to try some of her tips and style thoughts.



AcademiChic's "How to Pack for a Research Year Abroad"



Sounds familiar right? That's what I thought, and her tips about neutrals and layering were really helpful, and made a lot of sense considering my prior fall/winter experiences in Denmark. I had already started the same process of breaking my clothes and "want to takes" into categories--dresses, shoes, pants, shirts, jackets. Of course my winter coats took up quite a bit of space, but I'm a bit terrified a true Danish winter, so they all come, even if I have to mail them! After reading this article I went back through my list and checked each item to see if I would wear it with at least 3 other items. That was hard, because it eliminated some of my favorite items--but in the end I think it was a good plan.

Shoes:
  • black heels,
  • gray slouchy boots
  • brown buckle boots
  • gray neutral flats
  • sneakers
  • brown heels
  • pewter wedge
Cardis/Jackets:
  • Black (long sleeved and lace back for layering)
  • Gray
  • Blue academic long sweater style
  • Rose pink rabbit (warm!!)
  • Black suit blazer
  • Winter teal wool vest
  • Black collared sweater style
Bottoms:
  • Jeans: 2 skinny (dressy and casual) and a trouser length, and casual
  • Black Trousers
  • Denim Skirt
  • Black shorts
  • Jumpsuit/overalls
  • (i didn't pack too much in this area because most Danish pant styles are, well..a bit funky)
Dresses:
  • Black print
  • Black Long Sleeved basic
  • Black wool Sweater dress
  • Funky Summer Print--to be work as a layering piece, very funky danish style
  • Gray/Cream basic cotton for layering

Tops:
  • Black Turtleneck
  • Teal Basic in a lightweight wool (Loft)
  • Cream Fair Isles style (Banana Republice)
  • Heather Gray with rose floral motif baggy sweater (NY and Co)
  • LAYERING TEES!  black, purple, white, gray, fuschia
  • sage lace tank (target)
  • print layering tank (American Eagle)
  • white button down
  • odd molly (swedish designer) white tunic thing
  • green/gray floral tunic
  • magenta/teal plaid tunic
Accessories:
  • jewelry
  • various headbands (will probably get more in dk)
  • scarves (red print, english rose print, teal, black)  
    • will DEFINITELY buy more in dk, can't have enough
  • black/brown skinny belt, black brown wide belt
  • charcoal felt bucket hat and other black hat

No comments:

Post a Comment